Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Brotherly Love

I was blessed to grow up with a sister who is only 18 months younger, so we shared pretty much everything. We did the same activities, shared a lot of the same experiences, and even a car.
When I started having all these boys, I couldn't fathom what raising them would be like, much less what being brothers would be like for them.

I hoped and prayed for the best case scenario. I was hopeful they would have a companion, a life-long best friend. They would have someone to play with any time they want. Having siblings doesn't come without it's challenges, but they are the very thing that prepares you for future relationships. To have to learn how to get along, take turns, and work out your differences, all while loving the other person.

My sister is my best friend, even after 31 years. I'm sure there are times that we didn't feel that way about each other, but we always had someone to talk to and we had a friend no matter where we moved.

So what does brotherhood look like in my house so far? I would say 90% of the time, there is rough housing, competition, yelling, running, name calling, fighting, and even some crying.
It is the other 10% I want to focus on, however. Those subtle moments that are barely noticeable. When one brother is being thoughtful and generous to another. It is a big brother, playing with baby brothers because he wants to "show them something cool." It is one brother bringing a blanket and a favorite buddy to another brother who is sick and lying on the couch. It is those nights that I listen outside their bedroom door, and they are having a sweet conversation with each other and letting their imaginations wander.

Now that they are here, I added to my prayer. I hope for them to be able to foster a great friendship among themselves. For them to celebrate each other's successes, to be happy for each other during good times, and support one another during bad times. Even though my walls may end up having holes knocked in them, and I have to have super glue on hand to fix things that break, it won't matter as long as they can always mend their relationship.

I get frustrated by the fighting, but every once in a while I get a moment of hope for their future. One of these came yesterday as B2 decided he was going to share his last Valentine's tattoo and some of his candy with B1. Anyone who knows B2 will tell you this was a very big deal, he does not give up his candy easily! At that moment I saw his sweet heart and the love he has for his brother.











No comments:

Post a Comment