Thursday, January 10, 2013

Daisy cakes by Beth

For those readers that may not know, I am pretty passionate about baked goods, in particular, cakes. In my opinion, the whole reason to have a reception at a wedding, or to have a birthday party is to indulge in cake. It is the centerpiece, it can express the preferences and personalities for those who choose it.

In the past decade, cake decorating has taken on a life of it's own. Reality TV probably had a lot to do with it, TLC in particular with shows like "The Cake Boss," Cupcake Wars," and "DC Cupcakes," to name a few. I don't get that detailed, and really don't prefer the taste of fondant. My main goal is flavor, then appearance.

Long before things got out of hand, I was a little girl that wanted real cooking gadgets and appliances for birthday and Christmas gifts. I remember being excited to receive my first rolling pin, hand held mixer, and set of mixing bowls. I think I have a little of my Memaw in me, she was always cooking in the kitchen, and from scratch too! Things just taste better when someone takes the time and care to put their love into their dough or batter.

I started to learn the craft around the time of my wedding, my roommate's sister, Jen was very talented (she made our wedding cakes) and taught Wilton classes. Jamie and I got a crash course, then I took it from there.
The main reason I do it, is to have a special tradition of custom designing cakes for my kids' birthdays, but I have been getting some orders lately, and branching out.

December was a busy time for my little confections hobby, I will include some pictures below if you want to see. I enjoy creatively coming up with ideas that reflect someone's taste, it is a great outlet for me.

I first did a cake for a friend whose daughter graduated from Auburn. Then it was B1's turn, his 6th birthday Indiana Jones cake, then a 40th birthday cake that was Alabama-themed, although you cannot see the "A" very well in the picture.
Who knows what 2013 holds for "Daisy cakes by Beth," my boys are already putting in their orders.





No comments:

Post a Comment