Monday, January 21, 2013

Hey 30...3

Today is my 33rd birthday, which by all accounts really isn't special in any way. I, however, am just getting around to reflecting on being in my 30's.

In 2010, when I turned 30, we got some terrible news, my MIL's cancer had metastasized. As you can imagine, that over shadowed my thoughts as we went through the rest of that year with her.

In 2011, I was still in shock over the news that I was pregnant with my 3rd and 4th children. My mind was in overdrive thinking about how I was going to care for 4 children, so there went 31.

In 2012, I was too tired from caring for the 4 children to even realize it was my 32nd birthday.
For some reason, 33 has been my year that I finally get around to reflecting. Maybe it is because of the history of this particular 21st of January?

In my lifetime, there have only been a few times that Martin Luther King Jr. Day actually fell on my birthday. In 1980, my birth year, the 21st occurred on a Monday, but MLK day wasn't a nationally recognized holiday until 1986, which means it didn't fall on my birthday again until 1991, my 11th birthday.

I remember that day well, we lived in Alexandria, VA at the time. I was in 4th grade, so we were out of school. My dad was in the Air Force, so he was off of work too. I went to my dance class (Jazz) and it was a snowy day, so bonus! Imagine my disappointment to learn that was the one and only time MLK day would be shared with my special day during my childhood. Not again until 2002, as I was probably writing my community health nursing paper for nursing school (good times :), then 2008 when I was very pregnant with B2, and then of course today.

Another bit of significance to January 21, 2013 is that it is the only Presidential Inauguration to occur on my birthday in my lifetime so far. Being that the official Inauguration date is January 20th, but yesterday was a Sunday, so I get the honors. It doesn't matter to me that I am not a particular fan of this President, I am a history geek and very patriotic, so I am excited about it.

So how are the 30's going so far? I think I kind of like this decade of life. I've had a few years of it under my belt to realize high school was not the best years of my life. College was great, but I worked way too hard! My 20's were fun, but I would trade all of that in for where I find myself right now. I have never been more self-assured and have never cared less about what others think of me. That is pretty liberating!

Sorry for the history lesson, if you have managed to read this far, but it's my party (and blog) and I'll be a nerd if I want to!

Enjoy a sampling of my artistic creation (pic below)

No comments:

Post a Comment